Once you find an opportunity that you’re interested in you should
- Review the requirements of the volunteer opportunity and be sure that you can meet them
- Contact the person identified in the posting. If it is through email or you are leaving a message, provide the name of the position and your contact information. You can expect a response within a couple of days.
- The organization will schedule a meeting/interview, this is a chance for you to learn more about the organization, the volunteer opportunity and, for the organization to learn more about you.
- At the meeting/interview you may be asked to fill out an application form and may also be asked for personal references and a police check as a part of the screening process.
- After providing all of the required information, you should expect to hear from the organization within a week regarding a start date, training sessions and any other important information.
- Once you have started working for an agency as a volunteer it is expected that you are: punctual and reliable, committed to your work, professional, enthusiastic and willing to learn and always respectful of clients, co-workers and community members.
Now that you know what volunteering can do for you, what you can give to an organization and what to expect from the process, it's time to find an opportunity! Use the Criteria Search to find an opportunity based on your interests, skills and location or use the Map Search to find an opportunity in a specific area of Lambton County.